Studying in the United States at universities, colleges, schools, and language centers

Students can enroll in American universities and colleges after finishing the 11th grade of general education school or after graduating from university. You can study in the United States on bachelor’s, master’s, and associate degree programs. Since teaching at American universities is conducted in English, applicants will need to pass a mandatory language proficiency test – TOEFL or IELTS. Many educational institutions offer additional English language courses in America for international students. Regardless of the level of English, most international students need professional essay help to improve their academic performance.

What specialties do we recommend studying in the United States? STEM specializations (Sciences, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), Professional Flight Management, Hospitality, Risk Management, Entertainment Management, Real Estate, Filmmaking

5 good reasons to get higher education in the USA

* Stable economy of the country

* Excellent conditions for studying and living in American universities

* A wide selection of programs, courses, diplomas that are recognized by all countries of the world

* Flexibility of the higher education system

* The opportunity to work during training and after graduation

The uniqueness of American higher education lies in freedom and flexibility. There are no standard requirements for applicants that would suit everyone. Each American university sets its entrance requirements. We recommend that before choosing an educational institution in the United States, be sure to consult with a specialist-an academic consultant. He will tell you what you need to know before entering US universities.

Types of higher education institutions in the United States

Higher education institutions of the United States of America are divided into several types.

Community Colleges 

Community colleges are two-year educational institutions that are known as technical or junior colleges. They assign an Associate Degree to students – an Associate Degree. Advantages of studying in community colleges:
– Low cost of training

– The possibility of transferring to the 3rd year of the American University after a 2-year program

– Basic vocational training

Four-year colleges and universities in the United States

Universities and four-year colleges award graduates with a bachelor’s degree (BS and BA) and some professional degrees. The loans that students receive at community colleges are accepted by universities. Thus, students can continue their studies in the bachelor’s program. Foreign students can enter the universities and colleges of America for the bachelor’s program directly, after the 11th grade. Universities with a high rating or many public universities in the United States will require graduates to complete an additional year of training and receive an American certificate of secondary education. 

Such universities as Oregon State University, University of the Pacific, California State University Monterey Bay, Florida International University, American University, University of South Carolina, etc. can immediately accept you for the first year.

American universities, in turn, are divided into 2 types: public and private universities. There is an opinion among students that American public universities are more prestigious, and it is worth studying only at such universities in the United States. Private universities can and do have high ratings and in most cases give more advantages to foreign students for obtaining a scholarship in the United States.

Conditionally, American universities can be divided into 2 types: 

– Those that adapt the training program and the admission process for foreign students

– Those that accept foreign like American students

Subjects and credits at American universities

In an American university, to obtain a diploma of higher education, you need to collect a certain number of credits. You get credits for completing one subject. The number of credits correlates with the number of hours that are allocated for studying subjects. For example, the successful completion of a course for which 1 hour is allocated three times a week guarantees the receipt of 3 credits. If an additional hour of laboratory work is added to the course, you will receive 4 credits.

Academic programs and academic degrees at US universities

In higher education institutions in the United States, there are five main scientific degrees that students can receive after graduating from the relevant educational institution and studying a certain number of credits. 

Associate Degree
Two-year colleges (community colleges) and a small number of four–year institutions issue an Associate Degree (Associate Degree). This degree is awarded to students who have completed the curriculum, which consists of 60 credits. This diploma allows students to get a professional education, and after 2 years of training to work in their specialty, or to prepare for university studies-to continue their studies in the 3rd year of the bachelor’s program. Students often use this degree to save on the cost of studying at the university. The Associate Degree program is much cheaper.

Students can enroll in these programs after graduation. The main requirement is a sufficient level of English. The entrance requirements are lower than at universities. 

Bachelor Degree 
A bachelor’s degree at US universities is currently the most popular degree among students. It prepares students for work in their specialty and allows them to continue higher education at the master’s level. The duration of training on the bachelor’s program is 4-5 years, depending on the specialty. The term Undergraduate Degree is often found on the websites of American universities. 

The academic bachelor’s program consists of 2 components: General Education and education in the specialty (Major). The purpose of the subjects of the general education cycle is to give students the knowledge and skills that they need for life, while specialized subjects provide an opportunity to get a specialty and a profession. In addition, there are concepts of Major and Minor in American universities. Major is the main specialty that you study at the university. Minor is a specialization or an additional specialty. It happens that the Major and Minor directions are not related to each other at all. 

Graduate Degree: Master’s degree, Professional Degree, Doctor
Graduate Degree. Master’s Degree. The Master’s degree is awarded to students who have completed a two-year program of professional or theoretical training based on a previously obtained bachelor’s degree. Usually, students who are interested in scientific research or want to improve their professional level to advance on the career ladder study at master’s degree programs at American universities. To enroll in the American Master’s Program, students must pass the standardized GRE or GMAT test, and the TOEFL test for international students. In addition to the master’s degree, at the post-diploma level, students can study at professional schools and receive a Professional

Diploma, and at Doctoral programs.

What is important for foreign students to know about admission to US universities:
• There is no need to complete an additional year of training before entering US universities for a bachelor’s program.

• Most master’s degree programs at American universities require additional training, which lasts from 1 semester to 1 year

* Students, school graduates can not enroll in Ivy League universities after the 11th grade. It is necessary to obtain a certificate of secondary education in the United States

* Tuition in the United States of America is paid. The university can provide a scholarship for studying – but this is only a discount, but not full funding

* Students who study at English language programs in the United States are not eligible for work

* University and college students can work up to 20 hours a week on a student visa

• After graduating from an American university, students have the right to work in the United States for a year after graduation

* Students who have studied at American universities in STEM specialty programs are eligible to obtain a work permit in the United States for up to 3 years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.